4 month old suddenly lost interest in milk (and has not started solids)

4 month old suddenly lost interest in milk (and has not started solids)

"I had a great routine with my baby. She was in the 75th percentile, gaining weight well and *mostly* happy. She was having a bottle every 4 hours. But ever since she was 4 months old, she went from drinking her bottles quickly to refusing her 150 ml bottle and arching her back in protest. In a day, she would only have as little as 400 ml of milk. I thought this was teething, but it's been going on for 1.5 months! What's happening?"

It's so frustrating as a parent when your baby refuses milk. As a first time mum, I was worried. Is this common? Why didn't anyone at my mothers' group experience it? I brought her to the GP because I was worried she's not taking in enough liquid. The GP told me to monitor her for the next 3 days. I thought I had ticked off all the possible causes of this new behaviour:

Is the milk the cause?

At 4 months old, my baby had been having formula. The formula we use was not expired and perfectly okay to drink. There's been no change to formula or the temperature at which the milk was served at.

Should I change teat size?

Was she getting frustrated at the flow of the milk? Possibly. So, I changed it to a teat with a larger hole and no improvement too.

Is baby not feeling well?

She didn't have a temperature, and still as happy as ever. She didn't seem unwell or hurt. Everything else about her seemed normal.

Is baby teething?

I thought this was the case because it seemed to be the logical explanation. Everything was going well, and suddenly something changed. It must be teething. She's also salivating a lot. I was excited and anticipating the arrival of her tiny two teeth. But days turned into weeks, and I started thinking if there's another reason.

Could it just be her salivary glands developing, and she's not really teething?

Is baby distracted?

My first response was no. It's not like I fed her in a crowded place and she was too distracted. We're just home in our living room alone with the TV switched off. How could she be distracted? I was too quick to assume that this wasn't the reason.

Until I got desperate.

I didn't want to change our perfectly functioning routine. But who knows? Maybe a dark quiet room might just be the answer

What worked

Feeding her in a quiet and dark room helped. She was less distracted by her surroundings and would have about 80-100 ml each time. So when my mum visited and was dangling a soft toy in front of her while I was trying to feed in the room, I had to gently explain to my mum that her method of coaxing her to drink was doing quite the opposite.

Another thing that worked was feeding her when she was about to drift off to sleep. I would put the teat in her mouth and she would suck and finish the milk. We've been warned that feeding to sleep is bad. But hey, it worked for us.

She was able to increase her milk intake to about 600 ml a day. And I was just so happy that we could figure out a way to get her to drink more milk.

*Sigh of relief*

I've been told to just relax and enjoy her given she's not unwell or dehydrated. Babies will not starve themselves. I know that. But knowing that didn't stop me from feeling worried or slightly stressed out.

For the first time mamas who are experiencing a similar situation, I hope this article is helpful to you xx

Comments

Katy

Katy said:

This is me right now! Exclusively breast feeding, and the only time I can get her to have a decent feed is before she goes down for a nap, I’d be fighting her for the whole two hour awake period to get something in her. But I have no idea how much she is taking in at all :( so past week I have been feeding her to sleep and she will have the occasional snack when I can get her on. So same here with the dark room, less distractions around. Hoping to find another way as I really want to teach her how to self settle asap! Xx

Chris C

Chris C said:

Thank you for this article. It is exactly what I am experience. So reassuring to read.

Sadia

Sadia said:

I have been experiencing the same with my 4 month old and it’s been a month and a half she is not taking milk properly. She takes 80ml after 3 to 4 hours and it worries me so much that I have lost my sleep over this.

Pollah H

Pollah H said:

My baby girl is about to turn 5months next week and yes, we are in this situation right now. I am first time mom and it’s just worrying too much. Everything is just suddenly change and I am trying to relax and calm but everytime i feed her, i keep praying she will take the bottle.
Thank you for this article.

Jola

Jola said:

Thank you for ur posts girls. The same for us: first time mama, we are 4,5 months and it’s been 7 weeks with these refuses, crying a lot when I try to lie him for drinking time and arching his back. Sometimes when almost asleep yep, he drinks somewhat. I am breastfeeding and formula supplementing, but since stressed out of this behavior the breast milk may have dropped. I am not sure, so I tried to start him the solids because I was feared of baby sleeping from tiredness with an empty stomach. I wish u and ur babies health and relief asap!

Nav

Nav said:

Thank you for your article. I thought I was going crazy and just knowing I am not alone helps. I even went to the hospital Monday, after 12 hours of my son not drinking. Only to be sent home after he started drinking 90ml at the hospital. It was so embarrassing but I was just relieved that he started drinking.
I am just so confused, I am waking in the night to try and get him to drink but when he is sleepy the most he drinks is 10ml-30ml. He is a premature baby and overall was growing well on the 25th percentile. During lockdown and not having contacts or experience- articles like this are so useful. Please do send any other tips people may have.

Nav

Nav said:

Pooja

Pooja said:

First time mum and have been experiencing the same with my 4 month old baby girl. She is an absolute delight but just refuses to drink. We have tried music, dark room and what not! What’s worked for us is gently rocking her to sleep and putting the teat in her mouth when she is about to sleep. Overall, in a day, she drinks anywhere between 750-950 ml (Yes! That’s a crazy range!)

Its a lot to follow as a routine every time she needs a feed. I feed her every 4 hours although she does not ask for food.

Thank you for the article! Helps to know, we are not alone.

Wishing all the wonderful mums the very best in this roller coaster ride called motherhood! :)

Geraldine Oribillo

Geraldine Oribillo said:

I have suffering my baby at 4mons old and by next month she’s 5mons. She less drink even sleeping. What is should do this age? Pls help me. Im looking forward. Thank you and have a good day!

One Eco Step

One Eco Step said:

Hi Geraldine, I’m so sorry to hear that. I can imagine how stressful and frustrating you’re feeling. I’m so sorry I don’t have any other suggestions apart from feeding baby more frequently and see if baby will feed more so he/she is getting enough liquid in the body? Hope things change for the better soon xx

Shruthi

Shruthi said:

Am exclusively breast feeding.. exactly same problem.. even i changed plac3 and room…didn’t worked.. night in sleep she takes from breast only.. day time not even from bottle…from spoon i am feeding 50ml expressed milk in spoon for 3 to 4 hours

Patience

Patience said:

Thank you for your article. Same here, I am so depressed , I even cry. But hope our almighty God will help us

Simran

Simran said:

1st time mum here experience the same with my 4month old baby girl… She don’t drink milk through out the night.. even I feed her middle of night she doesn’t open her mouth… I’m soooo confuse tool her to the doctor many times.. doctor are confused as well.. she is still the same almost 1month already 😢😢😢😢😢 I’m beginning to have stress cs of her… Tired googling everything tried every single thing nothing works … She is active when she cries for milk she only drinks 30ml… One feeding total feeding in a day is hardly 330ml full day… I don’t even know is it enuf for her or not

Johanna

Johanna said:

My little girl (turning 4 months next week) is doing exactly the same.. Refusing the milk. We had a perfect routine, she usually drinking on avarage 150/160 ml, 5 times per 24 hours. Since last week, though, she refuses. Arching her back when I take her in my arms.. The same way I’ve been feeding her since she came home.
I’ve tried everything, feeding her while sleeping is the only solution at this moment.
I am wondering whether she is just tired of the milk.. Maybe she wants solids..
Generally, she is still a very happy baby and hardly ever cryes.

M Hw

M Hw said:

I’m a first time mum and my baby is approaching four months. She was drinking well for the first 3 months or so but in the last 2 weeks she been arching her back and crying when we position her for a feed. She’s already dropped from the 50th percentile to the 10th percentile for her weight, I fear she’ll drop even lower! The doctor recommended 600ml per day but it’s a struggle to match that and even hit 500ml on some days. We’ve tried to change positions when feeding, have different people feed her, feed her smaller amounts at shorter intervals of 2h and also tried feeding her after 3-4h but she still only drinks a small amount (like 60ml or less). She doesn’t fight the bottle so much at night but still only manages to drink 60ml at best. Any suggestions would be welcome! I’m about to try a new bottle and see if that’s the problem. Meanwhile sorry everyone is going through this, wishing everyone all the best in turning their situation around!

E

E said:

It’s crazy how similar we are all experiencing the same thing. My baby was drinking 180ml five to six times a day. At 4 months he weighted 17lbs, he was 85 percentile after weighting 6lbs at birth. Right after his four months vaccines he started refusing to eat so I figure he wasn’t feeling well, four weeks later it was even worst, sometimes he would only drink 30ml at a time, that’s 150ml difference. I thought maybe it was teething, acid reflux, thrust but none of these was the case. I wonder if it is food aversion. Did it get better for any of you?